Monkey D. Garp is a semi-retired Marine vice admiral famous for his exploits during the era of Gol D. Roger, the Pirate King. He is the father of Monkey D. Dragon, the leader of the Revolutionary Army, the paternal grandfather of Monkey D. Luffy, the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates, and the adoptive grandfather of Portgas D. Ace, the late commander of the Whitebeard Pirates. He is also known by his epithets “Garp the Fist” and “Hero of the Marines”.
What Are Monkey D. Garp’s Abilities and Skills?
Garp is one of the most potent and respected Marines in history. He has immense physical strength and durability, being able to punch through mountains, throw cannonballs like baseballs, and withstand attacks from powerful enemies.
He is also a master of Haki, a mysterious power that allows him to sense, manipulate, and resist the will of others. He can use Observation Haki, which enhances his perception and intuition, and Armament Haki, which hardens his body and attacks.
Garp is also a skilled strategist and leader, having trained many notable Marines such as Kuzan, Sakazuki, Borsalino, Tsuru, Sengoku, and his crew. He has a vast knowledge of the world and its history, being one of the few people who knows about the Void Century, the ancient weapons, and the true nature of the World Government.
If you are a fan of One Piece, you will love the articles we have for you. Just click on the link below:
- Who is Monkey D. Luffy in One Piece? The Rubber Pirate Who Dreams of Being King
- Who is Monkey D. Dragon and What is His Role in One Piece?
What Are Monkey D. Garp’s Achievements and Feats?
Garp has earned many achievements and feats throughout his long career as a Marine. Some of them are:
- He was offered the rank of admiral several times, but he refused it because he did not want to be under the direct control of the World Nobles.
- He was one of the few people who could fight on equal terms with Gol D. Roger, the Pirate King, and cornered him many times.
- He was involved in the God Valley Incident, where he allied with Roger to defeat Rocks D. Xebec, one of the most dangerous pirates in history.
- He captured and imprisoned notorious pirates like Chinjao, Don Chinjao’s son Sai, Arlong, and Shiki.
- He participated in the Battle of Edd War, where he confronted Shiki’s massive fleet and prevented him from attacking East Blue.
- He participated in the Battle of Marineford, fighting against Whitebeard’s forces and trying to stop Ace’s execution.
- He trained Coby and Helmeppo, two former subordinates of Captain Morgan, to become promising Marine officers.
- After retiring from active duty, he became a Marine instructor, teaching recruits about Haki and other skills.
What Are Monkey D. Garp’s Relationships With Other Characters?
Garp has various relationships with other characters in One Piece. Some of them are:
- Monkey D. Dragon: His son, who is the leader of the Revolutionary Army opposes the World Government. Garp does not seem to have a close relationship with him, as he rarely mentions or visits him.
- Monkey D. Luffy: His grandson is the captain of the Straw Hat Pirates and one of the Eleven Supernovas. Garp loves him dearly, but also tries to capture or make him join the Marines. He is proud of his achievements but also worried about his enemies.
- Portgas D. Ace: His adoptive grandson was the son of Gol D. Roger and Portgas D. Rouge. Garp cared for him since he was a baby and raised him alongside Luffy. He loved him as his own family, but also respected his choice to become a pirate. He was devastated by his death at Marineford.
- Sengoku: His former superior and friend, who was the fleet admiral of the Marines until he retired after the war. They have a long history together, having fought against many enemies and shared many secrets. They often argue over Garp’s actions and decisions but trust each other.
- Tsuru: His former colleague and friend, a vice admiral of the Marines and one of the oldest active officers. They have known each other since they were young and have worked together on many missions. They have a mutual respect’s abilities and personalities.
- Sakazuki: His former subordinate and enemy, the current fleet admiral of the Marines, after succeeding Sengoku. They have conflicting ideologies regarding justice and morality, as Garp believes in moral justice while Sakazuki believes in absolute righteousness. They clashed at Marineford over Ace’s fate, with Garp almost killing Sakazuki for murdering Ace.
The most powerful family in ONE PIECE is the family of MONKEY D:
MONKEY D family is the strongest family in ONE PIECE
MONKEY D GARP 🔥
MONKEY D DRAGON🔥
MONKEY D LUFFY 🔥 https://t.co/hr0tjcfkDC
— Akhyar Ali (@Akhyar_Know_How) April 2, 2023
What Are Some Trivia About Him?
Here are some trivia about Monkey D. Garp:
- His name is derived from “garp”, which means “to yawn” or “to gape” in Swedish and Norwegian. This may refer to his tendency to fall asleep randomly or his wide-mouthed expression when he laughs.
- His birthday, May 2nd, is derived from his epithet “Garp the Fist”, as 5-2 can be derived from “go-ni” which means “fist” in Japanese.
- He is voiced by Hiroshi Naka in the Japanese version and Brian Mathis in the English version of the anime.
- He is one of the few characters who can use Observation Haki and Armament Haki, along with Rayleigh, Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Katakuri, and Big Mom.
- He is one of the few characters with a personal Jolly Roger, a skull with a dog’s face, and crossbones. This may reference his epithet “Hero of the Marines”, as dogs are often associated with loyalty and heroism.
To learn more about the fantastic world of One Piece, you can visit the link below:
- One Piece Episode 1072: Release Date, Time, and Streaming Details
- Zoro One Piece Birthday: How Do Fans Celebrate Zoro’s Birthday?
Who Are Monkey D. Garp’s Enemies?
Here is a list of some of the enemies of Monkey D. Garp, a semi-retired Marine vice admiral and a legendary figure in the One Piece world.
- Gol D. Roger: The Pirate King and the captain of the Roger Pirates. He was the greatest rival of Garp, who chased him for years and fought him many times. They respected each other despite being enemies and even teamed up once to defeat Rocks D. Xebec at God Valley. He was also the father of Garp’s adoptive grandson, Portgas D. Ace.
- Rocks D. Xebec: The captain of the Rocks Pirates and one of history’s most dangerous and powerful pirates. He led a crew that included future Yonko such as Whitebeard, Big Mom, Kaido, and Shiki. He aimed to become the King of the World and challenged the World Government. He was defeated by Garp and Roger at God Valley, where he presumably died.
- Sakazuki: The current Fleet Admiral of the Marines and the former Admiral Akainu. He staunchly believes in absolute justice and has no qualms about killing anyone who opposes the World Government. He clashed with Garp at Marineford over Ace’s fate and killed him in front of Garp and Luffy. Garp was enraged by this and almost killed Sakazuki, but was stopped by Sengoku.
- Blackbeard: The Admiral of the Blackbeard Pirates and one of the Four Emperors. He is a former member of the Whitebeard Pirates who betrayed his crew and killed his commander, Thatch, for the Dark-Dark Fruit. He also captured Ace and handed him over to the World Government in exchange for becoming a Shichibukai. He later invaded Impel Down and freed several notorious criminals to join his crew. After his death, he stole Whitebeard’s power and became the only person to wield two Devil Fruits.
- Shiki: The captain of the Golden Lion Pirates and a former member of the Rocks Pirates. He is known as the “Flying Pirate” for his ability to levitate objects with his Float-Float Fruit. He was one of the few who escaped Impel Down by cutting off his legs. He fought against Garp and Sengoku in Edd War, where he was defeated and captured. He escaped prison and plotted to destroy East Blue with his floating islands.
This fantastic article from dailyanimenews.com covers everything you need to know about anime and manga. Check out our other articles to learn more about your favorite shows, characters, and creators. And don’t forget to leave your feedback in the comments section below. We love hearing from you!