Naruto, a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto, has become one of the world’s most popular anime series. The tale follows Naruto Uzumaki, a young ninja who seeks to become Hokage, the leader of his village. The series is divided into two segments: Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden, totaling a massive 720 episodes and 11 movies. Here is a detailed overview of some of the most noteworthy Naruto anime episodes.
Naruto (Episodes 1-220)
The original series can be divided into several main arcs:
- Introduction Arc (Episodes 1-5): This introduces the main characters, Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, and their teacher Kakashi Hatake.
- Land of Waves Arc (Episodes 6-19): This is the team’s first mission, where they face the rogue ninja Zabuza and his apprentice Haku.
- Chunin Exams Arc (Episodes 20-67): In this story arc, the skills of Genin (young ninjas) are put to the test as they engage in battles against fellow Genin from different villages. Throughout this arc, the true nature and unwavering determination of Naruto are unveiled, leaving a lasting impression on those who witness it..
- Konoha Crush Arc (Episodes 68-80): This arc revolves around the attempted destruction of Naruto’s home village by the villain Orochimaru.
- Search for Tsunade Arc (Episodes 81-100): This arc involves the search for a new Hokage after the third Hokage’s death.
- Sasuke Recovery Mission Arc (Episodes 107-135): This arc is crucial as it focuses on Naruto’s attempt to bring his friend Sasuke back to the village after he joins Orochimaru.
- Filler Episodes (136-220): These episodes do not contribute to the main storyline and were added to allow the manga to progress further than the anime.
Naruto: Shippuden (Episodes 1-500)
The sequel can also be divided into several main arcs:
- Kazekage Rescue Mission Arc (Episodes 1-32): The beginning of Shippuden sees Naruto returning to the village after training and the rescue of the Fifth Kazekage from the criminal organization Akatsuki.
- Tenchi Bridge Reconnaissance Mission Arc (Episodes 33-53): This arc involves an attempt to infiltrate Orochimaru’s hideout to find Sasuke.
- Akatsuki Suppression Mission Arc (Episodes 72-89): This arc is centered around the fight against the members of Akatsuki, specifically Hidan and Kakuzu.
- Itachi Pursuit Mission Arc (Episodes 113-118): This arc focuses on the pursuit of Itachi Uchiha, Sasuke’s older brother.
- Pain’s Assault Arc (Episodes 152-175): This is a significant arc where the leader of Akatsuki, Pain, attacks Konoha.
- Five Kage Summit Arc (Episodes 197-214): This arc shows the assembly of the leaders of the five great ninja villages during the brewing of the Fourth Great Ninja War.
- Fourth Great Ninja War Arc (Episodes 215-500): This is the final and longest arc of the series, showing the final battle between Naruto and Sasuke.
Please note that there are many sub-arcs and side stories within these arcs. Also, as with the original series, Naruto: Shippuden has a number of filler episodes that can be skipped if you are strictly following the main storyline.
Naruto’s Anime Movies
Apart from the main series, Naruto’s story also extends into a series of movies. The most noteworthy among them is “The Last: Naruto the Movie,” which serves as a canonical continuation to the series. The film explores the relationship between Naruto and Hinata, leading to the development of their romantic relationship. This movie holds a special place in my heart, and if you’re a die-hard fan, it’s a must-watch for you.
1. Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow (2004)
The first Naruto film takes Naruto and his teammates to the Land of Snow, where they’re tasked with protecting an actress during the shooting of her latest film. It’s an adventure-filled story that beautifully showcases the bonds of friendship among Team 7. The movie also introduces Yukie Fujikaze, a character who plays a crucial role in the narrative of this film.
2. Naruto the Movie: Legend of the Stone of Gelel (2005)
The second film in the Naruto series delves into a conflict over the ancient Stone of Gelel, a powerful artifact with a mysterious past. It provides an exciting storyline that pushes Naruto and his friends to their limits, testing their resolve and dedication to protecting their world.
3. Naruto the Movie: Guardians of the Crescent Moon Kingdom (2006)
This film brings Naruto, Sakura, Lee, and Kakashi on a mission to protect a prince and his son during their world tour. The movie focuses on the theme of responsibility and serves as a reminder of Naruto’s ultimate goal of becoming Hokage and his responsibility towards his village.
Naruto: Shippuden Movies
4. Naruto Shippuden the Movie (2007)
The first movie of the Shippuden series, it introduces a new character, Shion, who has the ability to predict someone’s fate. The film’s plot revolves around protecting Shion as she has predicted Naruto’s death. This movie excellently portrays Naruto’s never-give-up attitude and his determination to change his fate.
5. Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Bonds (2008)
In this film, Naruto and Sasuke come together to fight against a common enemy, despite their differences. It’s a thrilling tale about unity and highlights the complexities of Naruto and Sasuke’s relationship.
6. Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Will of Fire (2009)
The third Shippuden movie brings forth a new threat that could mean the end of all shinobi. The Will of Fire is a tribute to the core of the Naruto series, encapsulating the unwavering spirit of Naruto and his fellow shinobi.
7. Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Lost Tower (2010)
This time-traveling adventure takes Naruto back in time where he meets the Fourth Hokage. This movie provides a touching narrative on the cycle of time and destiny.
8.Naruto Shippuden the Movie: Blood Prison (2011)
Naruto is convicted for an attempted assassination and is sent to Hozuki Castle, also known as the Blood Prison. This movie offers an interesting perspective on themes of guilt, punishment, and redemption.
9.Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie (2012)
In this film, Naruto and Sakura are transported to an alternate reality by Tobi. It’s an emotional tale of identity and friendship, making it one of the standout films of the series.
10.The Last: Naruto the Movie (2014)
Set after the Fourth Great Ninja War, this movie revolves around the romantic relationship between Naruto and Hinata. This movie is canonical
and beautifully show the Naruto-Hinata love story.
11. Boruto: Naruto the Movie (2015)
This movie introduces Naruto’s son, Boruto, and his journey as a shinobi
The Naruto series is filled with memorable episodes that depict a compelling narrative of friendship, hard work, and determination. Naruto’s journey from being an outcast to becoming the Hokage is a testament to his indomitable spirit. From the intense battles to the emotional moments, each episode plays a crucial role in building this engaging narrative. Despite the series ending, the legacy of Naruto lives on in its sequel, Boruto: Naruto Next Generations.
Note: The given episode names and numbers are only a selection of the entire series. To truly appreciate Naruto’s journey, it’s recommended to watch the full series in order, as every episode contributes to the storyline and character development in unique ways.