The Concierge, an anime adaptation of Tsuchika Nishimura’s The Concierge at Hokkyoku Department Store (Hokkyoku Hyakkaten no Concierge-san) manga, will premiere in cinemas across North America in 2024, as reported by Crunchyroll on Thursday. The firm uploaded a teaser:
On October 20th, the film will have its debut in Japan.
On June 13th, at the Annecy International Film Festival, the film made its world debut. On October 21st, the film will premiere at the Los Angeles Animation Is Film Festival.
These actors and actresses were already announced:
- Natsumi Kawaida as Akino, the protagonist
- Takeo Ōtsuka as Elulu, a penguin who always wanders around the store
- Nobuo Tobita as Tōdō, the ever-present floor manager
- Megumi Han as Mori, a senior concierge
- Natsumi Fujiwara as Iwase, a senior concierge
- Eiji Yoshitomi as Maruki, a veteran concierge
- Jun Fukuyama as the Maître d’ of the store’s restaurant
- Yūichi Nakamura as Tokiwa, a salesman who looks sternly at Akino
- Kenjiro Tsuda as Wally
- Danshun Tatekawa as Laughing Owl (Husband)
- Sumi Shimamoto as Laughing Owl (Wife)
- Minako Kotobuki as Sea Mink (Daughter)
- Hiroshi Yanaka as Sea Mink (Father)
- Hiroki Nanami as Male Peacock
- Marika Kano as Female Peacock
- Miyu Irino as Japanese Wolf
- Kana Hanazawa as Female Japanese Wolf
- Ayumu Murase as Barbary Lion
- Emiri Suyama as Female Barbary Lion
- Kyoko Hikami as Caribbean Monk Seal
- Risa Shimizu as Paradise Parrot
- Sumire Morohoshi as Cat
With Satomi Ooshima (Hataraki Man, Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko, Raven of the Inner Palace) composing the narrative and Aniplex handling distribution, Yoshimi Itazu (“Pigtails,” “Welcome to the Ballroom,” and “key animation on Popin Q”) makes his directorial debut on a feature-length anime film. The film’s score was created by electronic music producer tofubeats. The character designer and principal animator is Run with the Wind episode animation director Chiyo Morita. The film is being produced by Production I.G.
The manga follows a new concierge working at an unnamed department shop staffed entirely by animals. As a concierge, she attempts to read her odd clientele and try to give appropriate recommendations to them.
Nishimura debuted the manga in Shogakukan’s Big Comic Zōkan magazine in November 2016, and concluded it in 2020 with two volumes. At the 25th Japan Media Arts Festival Awards, presented by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs, the manga took home the Excellence Award.
You can also read about other similar articles by visiting the links below:
- With FLY, Attack On Titan Manga Receives Its First and Final Art Book
- Countdown to International Release: ‘The Boy and the Heron’ Poster Unveils Miyazaki’s Masterpiece